Licencing

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 22 09:44:38 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:32:28AM -0000, Jay Bennie wrote:
> Here are my initial opinions
> The XML DTD -- these would be best served by the GPL - this way different
> builders/parsers are encouraged to use the same syntax, hence preserving
> portability and achieving the main goal of all the hard work - creating a
> common, well defined source package and build sequence description.

A future "ALFS Package" would consist of a complete building system,
meaning a parser, dtd, possible gui front-ends, backends, and so on. For
the purpose of the alfs source itself it should all be under one license.
If I were an ALFS user I wouldn't want to first have to find out if the
different components of a package are licensed differently, having to check
out all those licenses and so on to make sure I can use it, modify the
code, what I have to do with the modified code and all that other stuff.
Having one license would greatly simplify this for others.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org