perl status update

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Wed Dec 19 15:48:50 PST 2001

On 2001.12.19 22:41 Chris Lynn wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:43:41PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
>
> > Not really an update, more of an info newsflash :) When i posted about
> the
> > last release, i said i wasn't sure whether external entities would
> work,
> > well they dont :(
>
> Yeah, i noticed the same thing recently... After a recent chat with Brian
> it
> does definatly look like a XML::Twig bug, and i beleive that it has been
> pointed out to the Twig maintainer, but donna if they will do anything
> about
> it in a reasonable amount of time...
> 		 > I get strange errors about various things, and i'm
> buggered if i know
> what
> > it's doing. Therefore i'm giving _very_ serious thought about switching
>
> > from XML::Twig to LibXML. It has loads of features, seems to be
> regularly
> > updated and is just plain cool, as long as it works of course :) If
> anyone
> > has a good reason why not to do this, then please say so, I may give it
> > go after crimble.
>
> hmmm, i know for a fact that HIghOS was looking at libxml2, and i would
> suppose that there would be perl modules availble for it,

There is, see my other post :)

> but it may be
> time
> to have a look at an alternate method... I have heard good things about
> the
> sax/soap combination, and from recent experiance with sax, i would
> strongly
> recommend that you have a look at it... The sax machine would especially
> be
> usefull in an ALFS like enviroment, with the recursive affects that a
> change
> can have...

I've glanced at SAX, got intrigued, decided i didn't have time to learn
it. Might be worth another look later on though.

> Anyhoo
>
> Chris
>
> P.S. oh btw, there are a few things that the updated FE/BE has broken
> when
> using the 1.0 syntax, i'll chase them down soon and have a little post
> about them. ;-)
> --

Excellent, please do, i'm trying to maintain the old syntax for as long as
it's practical, but it tends to be trial and error rather than properly
thrashing out the bugs.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org