perl status update

Chris Lynn roryo at roryo.dynup.net
Wed Dec 19 14:41:12 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:43:41PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:

> Not really an update, more of an info newsflash :) When i posted about the
> last release, i said i wasn't sure whether external entities would work,
> well they dont :(

Yeah, i noticed the same thing recently... After a recent chat with Brian it
does definatly look like a XML::Twig bug, and i beleive that it has been
pointed out to the Twig maintainer, but donna if they will do anything about
it in a reasonable amount of time...

> I get strange errors about various things, and i'm buggered if i know what
> it's doing. Therefore i'm giving _very_ serious thought about switching
> from XML::Twig to LibXML. It has loads of features, seems to be regularly
> updated and is just plain cool, as long as it works of course :) If anyone
> has a good reason why not to do this, then please say so, I may give it a
> go after crimble.

hmmm, i know for a fact that HIghOS was looking at libxml2, and i would
suppose that there would be perl modules availble for it, but it may be time
to have a look at an alternate method... I have heard good things about the
sax/soap combination, and from recent experiance with sax, i would strongly
recommend that you have a look at it... The sax machine would especially be
usefull in an ALFS like enviroment, with the recursive affects that a change
can have...

Anyhoo

Chris

P.S. oh btw, there are a few things that the updated FE/BE has broken when
using the 1.0 syntax, i'll chase them down soon and have a little post
about them. ;-)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org