Patch for nALFS

Adolfo Delorenzo adelorenzo at dinossauro.com
Mon Dec 17 12:02:05 PST 2001

In the other hand a download of the packages would be very interesting for
local network installations. In this case the ftp site should be modified
to reflect the local server holding the files. All we would need then would
be a minimal boot disk with nALFS+mk.ext or mkreiserfs app+init scripts.

Sound crazy?

Another idea I had was to include an additional handler that could help
speed up compiling time called makej6. On multiple cpu machines the command
make 'package' MAKE="make -j x" (where x is at least 2) distributes the
make process on both cpus according to the amount especified in x. The
command make 'package' MAKE="make -j" paralellizes as much compiling as the
machine supports, but it can kill your machine.

Some packages though do not compile with 'make -j' like bash(!),ncurses,
groff, so the traditional make has to be kept.

My compile time on a 1GHz-2CPU+256RAM dropped from 1:18 to 0:53 minutes. If
anyone is interested, please let me know. I am still doing some tests and
should submit the patch for approval by the end of the week.

BTW, MAKE="make -j 2" works with one-cpu machines too. Haven't tested it
though.

Rgds,

Adolfo Delorenzo