Patch for nALFS

Paul Campbell paul at pauls.bsrg.dnsq.org
Mon Dec 17 10:34:07 PST 2001

> <unpack>
>     <archive type="local">
>         /usr/src/packages/ed-0.2.tar.bz2
>     </archive>

>     <archive type="remote">
>         ftp://ftp.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-packages/3.1/ed-0.2.tar.bz2
>     </archive>

>     <destination>/usr/src</destination>
> </unpack>

And where prey tell will it put the package when it's downloaded?

What will happen if you have a modem and you lose the connection in the middle?

What would happen if it was too big to download in one go, say the kernel, for
example, it is very near to my download limit on one connection. ( I have 2 hour
timeouts on my ISP )

I don't think that the program should do this on the fly, it would be slow and
inefficent waiting for packages to download, when they could be done in
parallel with other builds.

What would work is for the parser to analyse all the package <archive> elements
first, compile a wget list and ask you about starting the process.

I also think this fits more with my META ideas, ie. stuff that is not really
used by the parser, but by the user of the profile for reference.  A perl
script to create a wget list from the profile would be very easy, and alfs
need not be modified and over complicated.

Make any sense?

--
Paul

Test..g Te.ting One Two Th..e