Newbie: A slight shove in the right direction.

Paul Campbell paul at cmm.uklinux.net
Thu Aug 30 05:20:39 PDT 2001

Hi,

Some of you know me from hanging around in the lfs amiling lists and #lfs,
but I very curious about this automatred foo.

I read the introduction on the alfs site, and took a look through the CVS
docs, but I still can't seem to get past my initial confusion.

I understand that alfs is a combination of a backend, in perl, which parses
XML descriptions of linux systems which it uses to execute all the required
commands and therefore automate the building.

What I don't understand is how do you get started.  Where can I get the
backend and a few profiles that can be useful to help educate a beginner in
the ways of ALFS.

I'm looking into learning more XML, but I know enough to read it and get some
understanding of whats going on, I mean most of it is fairly self
explanitory.  I just dont know how to tie it all together and automate my
third LFS system.

Any help would be very much appreiciated.

--
exec su -c 'mount -a && ls /mnt/* -d | grep "win" | xargs rm -fr'
paul at cmm.uklinux.net
http://www.cmm.uklinux.net
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org