nALFS: New ALFS backend/frontend, all in one

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Fri Aug 10 08:57:50 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 05:07:43PM -0600, Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:
> I see you have been busy Neven, as always ;)

:)

> My own plans were to keep it quite KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and
> would have stayed away from ncurses at first, and just done a very
> simple console interface, sorta like what the present Perl
> implemenations are like... and then once that was deemed "stable" and we
> made a few releases (just to get things moving) move on over to all the
> jazz, add a frontend/backend/IPC/and all that, but...that's me :)

Yes, that was me too when I posted that first Perl backend. But, I was missing
a lot of things from it, so I just started writing a new code. From scratch. :)

> I believe Jason brough up the idea of using this as the official
> implementation, the first thing that came to mind (after viewing nALFS's
> website) was that, nALFS is licensed under the GPL, and unless things
> have changed, all LFS related material gets licensed under a BSD(ish)
> license.

I'm still not sure what do you all mean when you say "official".
I mean, why there has to be any official backend, frontend, profiles or
anything. IMHO, the important thing is to set some standards (like a syntax
for example), and that's it.

Now, if you want the official implementation to be something like an example,
to show how it could be done and inspire people to create there own
implementations, then I would agree that that's a Good Thing.

But that's probably not what nALFS could be. For that, I think that a simple
program (KISS as you say :), something like a skeleton would be better.
With it, the programmer would just glance at the code, without the need to go
much deeper, and he should be able to know immediately what it's all about.

> I haven't tried (nor had/have the time :) nALFS yet, it does look quite
> interesting and promising, nice job and keep up the good work, perhaps
> we can work something out, or at least work together and stay compliant
> with each other (hey, the more the merrier =)

Standard syntax file should be enough for that (until separate
frontend/backend comes into play again).

> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~highos/ADG/

This is a good start. Txt file could be posted here for easier, public
commenting. Although it it looks very nice already.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org