syntax, ALFS, nALFS -- versioning

CoreyCox CoreyCox at linuxfreemail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:25:12 PDT 2001

Well, I'm working on a couple of little profiles - and I suddenly
realized a bit of a snag.  We need to start thinking about versions and
such.  Heres a little information for the uninitiated:

ALFS most up to date version 0.0.7 (perl - this is a dead end release
unless someone steps up to     bat _real_ soon)
nALFS current version 010808-fix1???
alfs version sited in profiles 1.0

As you can see we have some issues to resolve here.  Foremost I think
the syntax and profile versioning needs to be addressed.  Is our current
syntax going to be 1.1, 2.0 -- or what.  Frankly I think it bears no
real relationship to th "1.0" syntax and it would be wise to make a
total break with the past, but calling it 2.0 seems a bit presumptious.
 Neven, I assume that you just labelled it the way that you did based on
keeping this straight on your system.  When we gear up to make this a
little more useful though I think we'll want a little more "standard"
versioning.  Anyway, my current profiles will be created with the
current "1.0" designation in the current scheme.  At least that way we
are consistent...

In case anyone is wondering the profiles I'm working on are really
simple stuff:

ALFS (installs libraries and perl fronentend and backend on the chrooted
LFS system just
    made using Jessies 3.0-pre4 profile)
nALFS (pretty much same thing - but for nALFS)
ssh (this will be run after chrooting into the aforementioned ALFS and
nALFS built systems
    before rebooting - because I like to administer my machines remotely
right away.)

If anyone already has these done - I'll use yours instead ('cause I'm
lazy).  But these are really easy profiles so I should have them knocked
out by the endof this weekend.  btw, while I'm on profiles I'm departing
from one of our conventions - because I don't hink it provides any real
benefit.  I am describing the packages strictly within the packages
(none of the entities at the beginning of the file, well - still keeping
a few).  You'll have to look at my profiles when there done and tell me
what you think.

--
Corey Cox

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org