nALFS: New ALFS backend/frontend, all in one

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Thu Aug 9 16:07:43 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 02:14:41AM +0200, Neven Has wrote:
> Thanks. :)

I second that.

> Well, let's wait for him to return first (same for a suggestion below).
> I do intend to follow all the changes (syntax or whatever) and eventually
> split the program to the backend/frontend network thing (not very soon though).
> So it will be ALFS one way or another. ;)

I see you have been busy Neven, as always ;)

Yes, i have been working on a C ALFS implementation, but it's been
mostly research into how things would work, testing out the different
XML parsers, etc... i have all the little pieces, just need to fit them
all together now.

I would have had something done by now, to show you guys, but there was
so little time before i took off i didn't want to start something and
leave it half finished. (hell, i didn't even manage to mail alfs-discuss
to let you guys know i would be away *sigh* ;)

My own plans were to keep it quite KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and
would have stayed away from ncurses at first, and just done a very
simple console interface, sorta like what the present Perl
implemenations are like... and then once that was deemed "stable" and we
made a few releases (just to get things moving) move on over to all the
jazz, add a frontend/backend/IPC/and all that, but...that's me :)

I believe Jason brough up the idea of using this as the official
implementation, the first thing that came to mind (after viewing nALFS's
website) was that, nALFS is licensed under the GPL, and unless things
have changed, all LFS related material gets licensed under a BSD(ish)
license.

Either way i was planning on writting a C based implementation, mostly
so that at least I would know the code behing it and we would not be
stuck with the problem we had before. (that is, all the developers
disappearing, which brough us back to square #1, don't really feel like
doing that yet again ;)

I haven't tried (nor had/have the time :) nALFS yet, it does look quite
interesting and promising, nice job and keep up the good work, perhaps
we can work something out, or at least work together and stay compliant
with each other (hey, the more the merrier =), comments/rants/etc are
welcome!

> When I decided to write a new code, there were no new syntax ideas, so I
> just followed a Perl backend I was using at the time, and it's handlers.
> All the profiles that existed also used this syntax.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~highos/ADG/

This updated syntax is the work of some suggestions and conversations
that took place here (such as moving towards less attributes and more
subtags, etc), myself, Jason and roryo have all looked over it and thing
it's a move in the right direction for a new _initial_ updated syntax
(note: not the final product, just something alot nicer then what we
have now), i've just checked in the latest version a minute ago to CVS.
(i can't believe i forget todo that for over 4 weeks, yey gods)

Most of you haven't seen that above URL, so take a look, post your
comments, thoughs and rants.

Anyways.. i am able to check my mail and hop on IRC at least once a day,
so i'll be keeping an eye on things here and posting when i get a
chance, but don't hold your breath :)

I'm gone untill August 20th, untill then...

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org