nALFS: New ALFS backend/frontend, all in one

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Aug 9 06:59:22 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 12:57:46PM +0200, Nicolas Nieswandt wrote:
> > It's C, it's ncurses, it's GPL, and it's here:
> >
> >    http://www.beotel.yu/~has/projects/alfs/index.html
>

> It's a very nice peace of code.
> I build a lfs last night and it worked perfectly.
> The UI is easy to use. Very good !

Thank you very much. :)

> I thought long about things I am missing, so what about ..
> .. loging compile time

This sounds great, I've put it in TODO file.

> .. loging installed files
> .. loging installed filesize
> like in the LFS-cvs-BOOK. But I don't know, whether it should be hard coded
> in nALFS or be a part of the profile. What do you think ?

Being a user choice and all that, I think that this is better suited in
the frontend itself. There is no need to introduce any new elements for this
to be part of the profile - <package> is quite enough.

The problem is that there is no easy way to do it - a simple find(1)-like
search before and after each <package> (or just one, inspecting time stamps)
would always do the trick. But that won't be very fast and, as you probably
already know by reading various mailing lists and "package management" endless
discussions, there aren't a lot of good options.

However, a simple "turn on/off package logging" (with find(1)s) won't hurt
anybody (since it could be always turned off :), so it's in TODO now.

Thanks again,

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org