nALFS: New ALFS backend/frontend, all in one

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Wed Aug 8 17:14:41 PDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:38:18AM -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> I've taken a quick look see and have to say nice thing you've done here.

Thanks. :)

> All is quiet, and then this bombshell lands!  :)  I know Jesse was working
> on getting a C based ALFS going also, but you've gotten a good deal done all
> ready.  He's on vacation at the moment and don't know if he knows about this
> at all, but maybe this could be the new ALFS if you'd want such a thing and
> he thinks so also.

Well, let's wait for him to return first (same for a suggestion below).
I do intend to follow all the changes (syntax or whatever) and eventually
split the program to the backend/frontend network thing (not very soon though).
So it will be ALFS one way or another. ;)

> I looked also at the profile and it looks like it is using the same syntax
> as the original Perl ALFS or similar.  How do you feel about the new style
> syntax that is in the alfs cvs now?  Not asking for a change necessarily,
> but just curious really?  Anyway, it's not in the OLD dir in cvs, but I have
> a copy of the old syntax.txt if you want.  Maybe I should really put it back
> in the OLD dir?

When I decided to write a new code, there were no new syntax ideas, so I
just followed a Perl backend I was using at the time, and it's handlers.
All the profiles that existed also used this syntax.

Of course, like I said, I do intend to change the program to use the new
syntax, but only when it becomes "completely official" and widely used
(profile-wise). The syntax file in CVS, if we are looking at the same think
(docs/syntax/syntax.txt), really needs more "alfs-discussion".
I don't remember there were much?

So if I may suggest that you copy&paste that file in a message to this list
and _scream_ for comments. After a few days, make the proposed (and accepted)
changes and post it again. After a week or two, make it official.

Personally, I don't really care much about the syntax, as long as we have
some standard for the profile and the backend writers to follow.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org