About Ram-Disk

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sat Apr 28 05:29:41 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 12:45:32PM +0100, Joao Clemente wrote:
> Is there a way to set up in a "normal" system a little particion (say 32Mb
> or so, defined somewhere by the user) in Ram, so that one could use it to
> speed up development/compilation stuff ?
> ( Well , I'm also looking for feedback if this is a nonsense or not... a
> friend told me that we could maybe get increased speed of some 10x ,
> justified by the diferent acess and transfer time of RAM when comparing to
> the hard drive.. It made sense, but I'm willing to double check his
> opinion )

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/ramdix.txt

You may want to use RamFS thou if your using a 2.4 kernel and also note
that yes, having a ram based filesystem is usually 10x faster then a
disk based filesystem *but* you would need at least a 500MB RAM
filesystem for it to be usable enough to compile all the packages in
LFS/ALFS. (glibc/gcc can reach 500MB usage in no time)

> Anyway, if this is possible, do you think it was possible too to get
> everything that was in that RamDisk particion saved to hard disk
> automaticaly when umounting the partition? That way , if we forgot that we
> were working there and rebooted or shutdown (the normal way , not the
> "windows power button press" way) , the work wold be saved, for example in
> /tmp/ramdisk_backup, or maybe /tmp/ramdisk_[time]_backup
> I believe this wold be possible tweaking some script (wich one?) that wold
> do this check on unmount...
> like running a service? the S script wold mount , the K script wold check,
> save, and umount ?

yup, that's all possible and not that hard todo.

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org