hey check out my crappy iso :)

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Thu Apr 26 20:42:18 PDT 2001

Howdy,

Thanks for all the info. Will try it out tomorrow...
/me need sleep.

> It's very hard to setup a scripting language in an initrd. All those
> dynamic loaded libraries and "aargl" sh. I first try with an initrd was
> with a shell but I always got strange behaviour (seems that I forgot some
> config files or stuff). So I decided to put only /linuxrc (statically
> linked) and
> /sbin/insmod (with symlinks to modprobe, rmmod, depmod, ..., also
> statically) on my initrd. And It worked right out of the box.

Hmm. I will keep that in mind...

My ramfiles were just this simple stuff...

#start devfs
/sbin/devfsd /dev
#mount the ramfs
mount -t ramfs ramfs /ramfiles
#make dirs in ramfs
mkdir /ramfiles/tmp

#cp tarballs to ramfiles
cp /var.tar.gz /ramfiles
cp /home.tar.gz /ramfiles
cp /root.tar.gz /ramfiles
cp /ALFS/profiles.tar.gz /ramfiles
cp /etc/X11.tar.gz /ramfiles
cp /etc/sysconfig.tar.gz /ramfiles
cp /etc/ssh.tar.gz /ramfiles

#untar tarballs which also makes dirs
cd /ramfiles
tar -zxvf var.tar.gz
tar -zxvf home.tar.gz
tar -zxvf root.tar.gz
tar -zxvf profiles.tar.gz
tar -zxvf X11.tar.gz
tar -zxvf sysconfig.tar.gz
tar -zxvf ssh.tar.gz

#now remove stuff to free up ram
rm var.tar.gz
rm home.tar.gz
rm root.tar.gz
rm profiles.tar.gz
rm X11.tar.gz
rm sysconfig.tar.gz
rm ssh.tar.gz

Sure it can be tons better, but it works for what
I wanted atm. :) ramfs and devfs seem to work
nicely.

> I can say that Python was the first scripting language with xml support.
> Just love python and don't have too much experience with perl.
> C and xml can be complicated in terms of simpliness but I think if there
> is a C program in alfs, the only one should be the linuxrc (but even that
> don't have to).

Would love to see a Python backend :) Maybe I'll learn something...

Bryan

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org