Fwd: Re: plfs

Thomas Krennwallner technik at e-moritz.at
Thu Apr 26 00:25:45 PDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:04:30PM +0000, the boisterous Bryan Dumm <bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com> wrote:

> The installer is again anything you want it to be...

> In a bootcd after the kernel boots, the normal
> thing to do is run an initrd image that does things
> like "find cdroms" to mount the root filesystem
> from. Well after the initrd finishes, /sbin/init is ran
> just like a normal booting lfs. So we can have the
> Install script itself be anything we want....

I have a perfect automatic bootimage for this stuff:

-) syslinux (should be isolinux in future)
-) initrd.gz
-) kernel
-) exec linuxrc
   selfmade c proggie
   does automatic hardware detection thru mandrake's libdetect
   searches cdrom-drive and setup /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
   exit
-) exec /sbin/init on cdrom
   bootscripts with automatic ramdisk creation for variable dirs
-) installer || login

> We are working on releasing a real tarball of alfs,
> and after that we will be working on a more proper
> Install program. For this release though I think we
> can have, put cd in drive, have running lfs, then
> run
>
> ./alfs_app ../profiles/whatever
>
> and then we have a simple "install program". We
> already have someone who wants to do a tcl/tk
> interface, and others. I am working on a web one,
> there is qt ideas etc. XML doesn't care what we
> pick and the alfs group just wants to provide as
> many examples as it can... :)
>
> A script to create the cd itself hasn't been finished
> yet but it is almost there. What is really needed is
> not a "script" but
>
> 1. a proper working boot.img and or more hints on
> how to roll your own boot.img, initrd.gz's are fun stuff ;)

I'm your man.

> 2. what happens after you boot with the fs and it is
> read-only. Some stuff is mentioned in the bootcd
> hint now, but there is 2.2 vs 2.4 diffs, 2.4 has things
> like cramfs, devfs, and ramfs that change the whole
> process etc.
>
> But if we get those two details worked out in an
> easy to reproduce format, I think anyone can have
> their own cd, with package manager, could even
> put their own alfs profiles into the rootfs that they
> burn to cd, their own packages, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. :)

Still your man ;-)

> btw you hit the deb<->xml<->rpm thing just perfect
> imho... it's still being refined/discussed, but it seems
> to be the right path...

Yes, I always had the problem to create a proper "layout" for automatic
installation and automatic bootcd creation and such stuff, but xml is
IMHO the best way.

> If you got input, etc. please help us make the
> distributionless distribution ;)

>From June this year 'til June next year I've to go to "community service"
(aka "Zivildienst" for german-speaking beings here). So I've to quit my job
and have more time to do some oss stuff. So during June this year, I can start
to hack some nifty boot images and initrd for alfs. I also got a couple of
ready apps for alfs, so wait until June.

BTW, I'm now on all alfs mailing lists so you can post to alfs-discuss from
now on.

And can someone tell me something about myos.linuxfromscratch.org?

> Bryan
> PS. heck, but lpp.freelords.org in there and say kdm and
> you got a fairly nice graphical lfs of your own.... Put X/KDE
> on there and put it in any binary build compatible computer
> and run your LFS.....

> Subject: Re: plfs
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:19:59 +0200
> From: Thomas Krennwallner <technik at e-moritz.at>
> To: lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
>

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:07:55AM +0000, the boisterous Bryan Dumm
> <bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com> wrote:
> > but your missing the point...
> >
> > say I have "precompiled stuff" and I copy exactly how a
> > RPM SPEC file describes information about my "precompiled stuff"
> > but I put my XML RPM SPEC info into a  XML "database" instead
> > of a RPM "database". Think about it. Provides all you need from a
> > normal RPM style setup and a whole bunch more, cause it is XML.
> > No automation at all... and no recreation of package formats since
> > you are using the RPM style. Or the deb one or whatever.....
>
> Ahh, I really missed the point.
>
> so what you mean is something like this:
>
>                          .spec -> rpm
>                       /
> .xml ->   parser  - <
>                       \  debiandirstuff -> deb
>
> That's cool. But what's missing is the Installer and a script to create
> the install/live-cd. this is not covered by alfs (but could be ;-).
>
> Is this right?
>
> So long
> Thomas
>
> --
>   ___
> _/___\    Thomas Krennwallner <technik at e-moritz dot at>
>  ( ^ >    Fingerprint: 7B58 6ED2 676F 75D8 4DD1  5A83 DC68 E62F 85F3 D58F
>  /   \    Phone: +43 2252 810810 18
> (__\/_)_
>
> E. Moritz GmbH
> office at e-moritz.at