stop sending me e-mails

Miss JohnsonWhanau at xtra.co.nz
Mon Apr 23 15:41:58 PDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: alfs-discuss-owner at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:alfs-discuss-owner at linuxfromscratch.org]On Behalf Of Pozsar
Balazs
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 01:42
To: alfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: Transferring LFS from /dev/hda3 -> /dev/hda1 ?

How do the processors compare on the systems? I suspect you wanted to copy
your binaries to an older processor, that's why it is saying 'illegal
instruction'. A binary which was compiled for eg. 686, doesn't run on 586
or older 99% of the cases.

And btw, i dont see why did you have to make seperate tar files.
If you mount the other hd into for eg. /mnt/hdb1 you can just issue 'cp
-ax / /mnt/hdb1', and have everything happily copied onto the other dest.

have a nice day,
Balazs Pozsar (from Hungary).

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Lynton wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I have recently set up my first LFS system after having played
around with several different 'off the shelf' distributions.
> Having got it set up and running beautifully I would like to run it on
another computer as well as the original one I installed it on but have
encountered problems.

> Here is what I tried.............
>
> First I 'tarred' each directory on the original LFS system individually,
so I had usr.tar, bin.tar, etc.tar and of course the others.
> I then moved these 'tar' files to the 'other' computer which has an ext2
file system ready and waiting.
> I untar the files successfully to leave me with an LFS system on the new
computer.
> After having run 'lilo' the new LFS system 'boots' up but I get
errors.........

> The original LFS system was hand built on /dev/hda3 with a swap partition
on /dev/hda4, however the destination system has an ext2 partition on
/dev/hda1 and a swap partition on /dev/hda2 - I'm wondering if this is why I
am getting errors even though I have adjusted the settings in '/etc/mtab',
'/etc/lilo.conf' and '/etc/fstab' to reflect the changed root and swap
partitions.

> Anyway the most obvious errors I get are the Kernel is unable to mount
/proc and whenever 'mount' is executed from one of the startup scripts an
'illegal instruction' error is reported.
> If I start the system in 'single user' mode it does respond to commands,
ie I can get a directory listing, but once again if I try to 'mount' a
filesystem manually I get the 'Illegal Instruction' error.

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org