Transferring LFS from /dev/hda3 -> /dev/hda1 ?

Lynton lynton at linux-guru.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 06:38:09 PDT 2001

Hi all,
        I have recently set up my first LFS system after having played around with several different 'off the shelf' distributions.
Having got it set up and running beautifully I would like to run it on another computer as well as the original one I installed it on but have encountered problems.

Here is what I tried.............

First I 'tarred' each directory on the original LFS system individually, so I had usr.tar, bin.tar, etc.tar and of course the others.
I then moved these 'tar' files to the 'other' computer which has an ext2 file system ready and waiting.
I untar the files successfully to leave me with an LFS system on the new computer.
After having run 'lilo' the new LFS system 'boots' up but I get errors.........

The original LFS system was hand built on /dev/hda3 with a swap partition on /dev/hda4, however the destination system has an ext2 partition on /dev/hda1 and a swap partition on /dev/hda2 - I'm wondering if this is why I am getting errors even though I have adjusted the settings in '/etc/mtab', '/etc/lilo.conf' and '/etc/fstab' to reflect the changed root and swap partitions.

Anyway the most obvious errors I get are the Kernel is unable to mount /proc and whenever 'mount' is executed from one of the startup scripts an 'illegal instruction' error is reported.
If I start the system in 'single user' mode it does respond to commands, ie I can get a directory listing, but once again if I try to 'mount' a filesystem manually I get the 'Illegal Instruction' error.

Any ideas ?

Thankyou for your time

Lynton

England UK