alfs without pre-chroot?

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sun Oct 8 23:30:17 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 09:03:25AM +0200, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> What if we leave out the pre-chroot part (compile-part, not set-up hdds
> and such ;) but provide a .tar.gz-file with a i386 static system and
> start with that...
>
> That would save a lot of time and make it possible to install without
> the need of having a distribution ready...

Yes... which is what's going to happen, Da? :)

One of the things that me and Gerard were talking about, allthough it
was set back on the burner as we are getting the profile/syntax done is
exactly that, which way do we go.  Although nothing was for sure nor
said lets do it this way (either that or i forget =P)

I want to support floppies and it can be done easy enough, if we provide
a static i386 (or your platform, *todo list to pick up Alpha and
Netwinder Racks, *drools*) build of _either_ a full static build of
everything that is needed to enter chroot or a full dynamic build which
would take up the same amount of space.

Like i've said before, it's not that hard todo LFS w/o a starting
Distrobution, download a set of good floppies, with those bootup,
partition/format, get networking, download and unarchive like that,
untar and enter chroot, you can then start LFS straigh them the start,
your choices... kinda neat, no? ;)

I've got an LFS-2.3.6-i386 build done actually in
http://quasar.highos.com/ALFS/ the dynamic should be right there in
archive the static is also there, when the time comes i'll redo the
builds *has nice fast hardware*

I've though about this quite a bit, including doing it more then once...
:)

*mumbles away...*

-

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org