Chapter4 profile

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 5 04:23:36 PDT 2000

> >         <cd>$LFS</cd>
>
> Do you really mean $LFS, or &LFS; ?

&LFS; there

> The backend will need to parse those $dirname, right? No use of XML
> here, right?

Right, but we're not sure if a for loop will be used. It's just an idea i
have.

> I'd still prefer <ln type="symbolic" source="share/man">man</ln>. Easier
> to parse.

K, will keep that in mind.

> >                         <ln type="symbolic">share/doc doc</ln>
> >                         <cd>$dirname/share</cd>
> >                         <mkdir>dict doc info locale man nls misc terminfo
> >                                 zoneinfo</mkdir>
>
> So we'll take it for granted that we use shell command names for tags
> such as those, right?

Seems logic to me yes.

> I don't really know why, but I don't like this for...do loop. Maybe it's
> too shell-like. Does it fit our needs? Would there be an easier/better
> way to do it?

Why I do it is to make things easier to maintain. Suppose you want to add a
directory to both /usr and /usr/local (which makes sense to do since you want
both trees to be the same) you then change it in one place and don't forget
it in the other place. But sure a long row of <mkdir>'s would do the trick as
well. We then just need to make sure we don't forget the second one.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-profile-request at linuxfromscratch.org