Chapter4 profile

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Tue Oct 3 15:48:50 PDT 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> > >                 All these partitions must be formatted (unless the use
> > > tells it not to) so perhaps we should change the variable names into
> > > something like:
> > >
> > >                 <!ENTITY partition-root "/dev/hda1">
> > >                 <!ENTITY partition-usr "/dev/hda2">
> > >
> > >                 And so forth. Then we can easily parse the file and have
> > > the profiler look for partition-* variables and create instructions for
> > > the backend to do something on those partitions (mke2fs)
> >
> > I don't know if it is already been thought off, but what is with other
> > file
> > systems? Do we need Tags for this, or can it be done with variables?
> > Or is this a thing, which should be left out of the Profile, and be
> > handled
> > by the Profiler?
>
> Sorry, what do you mean? I thought i explained it in that email clearly (at
> least I did an attempt to be clear ;) so I'm not sure what you're asking here
> now
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

> --

Well perhaps I just didn't understand properly! What I mean is this:

If you want to install your ALFS on lets say ReiserFS (JFS, ext3 or one
of the other
nice things which are jet to come) instead of ext2, how do you do that?
Is there a need for another tag (I don't think so) or can it be done by
variable or a option to entity
	<!ENTITY partition-root "/dev/hda1" fs="ReiserFS">
Or should it be left out of the profile entierly, and be done by giving
some
kind of configfile to  the profiler (Doesn't realy match into the entire
concept)
where things like which program to use for making the fs are defined?

I know that these things will not be implemented at this stage of
Development,
but I belive it will come in handy later on!

Perhaps all this is already solved, and I "overlooked" or didn't
understand it.

Fabio Fracassi

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-profile-request at linuxfromscratch.org