Profile design

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Mon Oct 2 23:28:10 PDT 2000

On Tue, 03 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> > I'm in the same boat more or less. I do have quite a bit of experience
> > with SGML since the book is written using the docbook dtd but there are
> > some fundemental differences between sgml and xml. I'm going to buy a
> > book or two on XML design soon (hopefully next week).
> >
> > --
> > Gerard Beekmans
>
> The book I have is "XML By Example" by this dude named Benoit Marchal.
> It's pretty good, except that in chapter 3, which is DTD, there are some
> things that don't make sense, at least not yet.  If I had a second book, I
> could probably cross reference stuff, but maybe the XML web site has
> something...
>
> 					-Erik

Since the topic is being discussed. What are the levels of XML knowledge
of others on the list? I got another recommendation of a XML book I am
enjoying called

The XML Handbook
Charles F. GoldFarb
Paul Prescod
ISBN 0-13-014714-1
$44.99US/ $68.00Canada

What is really nice about it, is most of the book is XML case studies of
how different people have used XML. Charles is also one of the original
SGML spec authors. I also picked up a book called

XSLT
Michael Kay
ISBN 1-861003-12-9
$34.99US/$52.95Canada

The blurb on the back reads

XML has established itself as the universal standard for delivering documents
and data on the web. The question now is: how do you process all this data?
The new XSL Transformation language (XSLT) was developed to meet this
need: it is poised to become the SQL of the structured document world. It
allows you to convert XML documents into HTML for display or to convert
XML data from one representation to another, all using a high-level
declarative language.

Now on first glance that might not seem that exciting since it is HTML
oriented, but I get goose-bumps thinking that we may already have a
basic high-level declarative language where we can perform SQL style
things on our document(the profile). Also XSLT from what I have read,
is some of the answers to problems basic XML creates. Check out

http://www.xslt.com/what_is.htm

to point out one paragraph from there though

Think of the possibilities:  with XSLT you can take your structured XML
information and synthesize new instances for your colleagues and customers to
use, or build HTML/CSS web pages from data stores, or feed other systems with
flat text representations of your data, or create operating system scripts,
etc.

I really think XSLT has some possibilties with what we are doing.

Still would like to know how much everyone else knows about XML.

Bryan

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-profile-request at linuxfromscratch.org