gcc 2.95.2 crash during static compile..

Barry Fitzgerald Barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Tue Nov 7 14:08:21 PST 2000

On 7 Nov 2000, at 1:12, Dustin Hoffman wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I am having problems getting gcc installed during the static stage of
> setup.. It compiles most of it, then crashes on indstream.cc.. it gives an
> error in one of the structs... it calls up lines 82,85,87,99,102,104,106 and
> gives errors on these lines... any help would be greatly appreciated.. oh
> I'm compiling on RH 7.0
>
> dustin
>

> --

Red Hat Linux 7.0 ships with both gcc 2.96 ( the CVS source
version) and egcs 2.91.2 (I think)...

so, in short, /usr/bin/gcc is gcc version 2.96

In order to get egcs 2.91.2 on your system, you need to install the
kgcc package.  This will install the file /usr/bin/kgcc on your
system.  To use this (the easiest way that I've found) run the
following as root:

cd /usr/bin
mv gcc gcc-2.96
ln -s kgcc gcc

bam, your Red Hat distro now has a completely stable release of
gcc.  The reason that Red Hat placed the kgcc package in there is
because they had trouble compiling the 2.2.17 kernel with gcc
2.96... In fact, as far as I can tell..it's impossible to do so...

although, compiling 2.2.16-22 (the release of the kernel that came
with Red Hat 7.0) and the 2.4.0-test* series seems to work fine.

I haven't tried building a full LFS system from my RH 7.0 box yet,
but I suspect that this may be related to the problem.  Try that, and
if it doesn't work - I'll try to replicate the problem...

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org