Actual tool design

Eric A. Ayer mwalker at ee.pdx.edu
Tue Jun 27 18:19:45 PDT 2000

> I agree with what has been said about the installation tool so far...
>
> What might be nice though is for the installation tool to somehow remember
> customizations that the installer did while it was running, that way if he has
> to build a system with the same customizations he wouldn't have to edit every
> single package himself.
>
> Or just a way that the installation tool reads in this file and applies the
> changes and overrides the defaults...

I was thinking that when the the user modifies the install "script" for a
package, they would have the options to save over the original script or save
to a new script.  Later they could modify the "large script" to use the
modified package scripts.

Another idea is that maybe some scripts require user input.  For example, a
script to install IP chains would need to know whether it should be configured
to work with ppp (thus ppp-up would have to be run when ppp connects), or some
dynamic IP configuration over ethernet, or static IP (T1 to the net :).  The
user could rewrite these to not require user input if they so chose.

					-Erik