The tool's framework

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Fri Jun 23 14:42:28 PDT 2000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> >We would limit ourselves a lot if we would only support installation
> >from a cd. It's better to leave that to be a choice. Look at
> >distribution's methods. You can select to install from cd, ftp,
> >harddisk, NFS and possible other ways.
>
> I like variety in installation methods. One thing that I would like to
> see in ALFS that doesn't happen in most distros is the ability to set
> up a ppp connect and use ftp. Some people say, "Who wants to download
> 200 megs of files on a modem?" but I have 2 lines, one with a modem
> connected full time so I don't really mind. FreeBSD supports ftp using
> a ppp link, if someone wants to look at an example.

Sounds like a fine way to install ALFS to me.... I've been looking
at the scripts people have submitted, Richard seems to have one
of the more interesting ones at the moment, cause it is more
framework oriented than lfs book oriented. I could see building
your ppp method into the framework...

I think starting with a simple bootable cdrom would be the best
profile to start with though....... :)

>Isn't a profile supposed to determine the process and what choices
>you will have later on in the installation?
>Wouldn't the act of creating your own profile take longer
> than just going through *every* choice? I guess I can see its purpose
> on the large scale (ie installing the same basic system on 10 or so
> machines).

yes and yes I believe. How one builds a profile is still undecided,
but building one could work for not only large networks with
many machines, but people could trade profiles or there could
be websites with sample profiles...

Ex. I built a cool firewall LFS box, and you would like to try it out.
You would d/l my profile and whatever else is needed, packages,
hacks to the framework, and press go, and ALFS builds you my
cool firewall box....

I am sure there are other such examples, ideas, just haven't thought
about it in detail.....

Bryan