Ok let's start

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 22 19:09:42 PDT 2000

> * Instead of just the physical CD, an .ISO image would be good, so people
> who have CD Writers can create their own, which will be identical to the
> actual CD

Naturally. But for the folks who don't have cd writers they can buy a
cdrom from ALFS. No, it won't cost $99 or so. Just the cost of shipping
& handling and the cd itself. We don't need to make profit on the cd's.
So say $5 per cd should cover it I think (most money goes in stamps on
the envelop and you need those special envelopes that are padded inside
with those air bubbles so your cd arives in one piece).

> * What about the people who can't boot from a CD. How about including some
> sort of disk image, which can be used to create a boot disk which basically
> boots the system and hands over to the CD and from then on, it's as if they
> had booted off the CD?

I already mentioned we should create a boot flop in case people can't
use cdroms to boot from.

> * What about a 4th 'mode', manual mode, where the system boots, and instead
> of the text/graphical installation, the user gets a command prompt, so they
> can basically follow the book through and build their own LFS, like we do
> now, but obviously this has 2 advantages -> all the packages are on the CD
> ready to extract, no downloading, looking for packages etc.. and, they can
> use the boot option of the CD i.e  they don't need a distro already on the
> machine...which is useful if you want to setup a new machine

That would be the same as the interactive mode more or less. Perhaps a
true command prompt and no tool running whatsoever would be a nice
addition. Let's save that for a later discussion ok?

> * A copy of the whole LFS FTP/Web site could be included on the CD...i'm
> sure there would be space!

I think so too yes.

> * Just a boot option, no installation, to use as a recovery disk or
> whatever?

Well, when you boot from cdrom it will load lilo so you can use it as a
recovery thing anyways. Just enter root=/other/partition and you can
start linux using the kernel image on cdrom and root partition on
harddisk. Everything that's bootable can be used as an emergency boot
disk as well.

> * Global options, like compiler optimizations should be able to be turned
> on..

Let's save that for later as well

> * I assume that the tool will allow the user to parition the disk etc, like
> a normal distro install would?

Of course. The system will not fdisk by itself. Even the non-interactive
mode will still require the user to create a partition. There are just
certain things in a fully automated installation which you can't
automate.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org