Ok let's start

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 22 19:03:49 PDT 2000

> Hmm. Is it really necessary to enter the chrooted environment? I
> thought the idea was to boot from the CD and basically start installing
> on to a clean partition as opposed to installing onto a partition
> mounted in another linux system (which would require chroot).

For one thing, the Glibc version on the cd might be a stripped version.
You want, when compiling programs, have the benefit of the entire Glibc
suite and that requires entering a chroot so that /lib and /usr/lib
contain the full Glibc suite. Also, if you don't enter chroot, you'll
have to modify quite a bit of packages which don't have a good way of
changing the path. Often when you change a path, those paths are going
to be hard coded. A chroot solves a lot of these potential problems by
just not creating them.

> As for the CD issue, I think that the base programs should be compiled
> statically. Linking dynamically would just add time to the project
> (figuring out which libraries are needed) and aren't most people going
> to recompile those programs anyway?

People are going to recompile things yes, you don't want to simply copy
files from the cd to LFS. You want to compile them onto LFS (makes a
difference). So if you have static programs on the cd that you use to
compile programs with, you definitely need a chroot environment because
you need Glibc to compile programs dynamically. CDROM system has no
Glibc so the only way to get your root file system to contain Glibc
files is to make $LFS root - by using chroot.

> I think a boot diskette would be nice and I'm guessing it wouldn't be
> very much work at all. Just throw all of the cdrom drivers you can fit,
> lilo, and a kernel on, maybe a few basic programs (mount, cp, and such)
> and you've got a running system. All of the development programs (and
> other basic programs) could be copied from the cd after it is mounted.

Exactly.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org