Ok let's start

Ian Chilton ian at ichilton.co.uk
Thu Jun 22 17:57:55 PDT 2000

Hello,

I agree with everything that Gerard said, and it all sounds good / exiting.
I like the sound of the text / graphical (the choice of both would be good,
if you are starting with the text based one, to include it for old systems
that can't cope) and the 3 installation 'modes' he mentioned sounded good to
me!

Just a few points:

* Instead of just the physical CD, an .ISO image would be good, so people
who have CD Writers can create their own, which will be identical to the
actual CD

* What about the people who can't boot from a CD. How about including some
sort of disk image, which can be used to create a boot disk which basically
boots the system and hands over to the CD and from then on, it's as if they
had booted off the CD?

* What about a 4th 'mode', manual mode, where the system boots, and instead
of the text/graphical installation, the user gets a command prompt, so they
can basically follow the book through and build their own LFS, like we do
now, but obviously this has 2 advantages -> all the packages are on the CD
ready to extract, no downloading, looking for packages etc.. and, they can
use the boot option of the CD i.e  they don't need a distro already on the
machine...which is useful if you want to setup a new machine

* A copy of the whole LFS FTP/Web site could be included on the CD...i'm
sure there would be space!

* Just a boot option, no installation, to use as a recovery disk or
whatever?

* Global options, like compiler optimizations should be able to be turned
on..

* I assume that the tool will allow the user to parition the disk etc, like
a normal distro install would?

These are just some points for thought, that I thought of...

Apart from these, it all sounds jolly good to me   :-)

Bye for Now,

Ian

                     \|||/
                     (o o)
 |  Ian Chilton                              |
 |  E-Mail : ian at ichilton.co.uk              |