I have one here

Avery Fay afay at ultranet.com
Wed Jun 14 13:44:34 PDT 2000

I guess I'll throw in my two cents on graphical vs. text installation...

I strongly encourage alfs to use an ncurses based installation as opposed to
a graphical one. I tried a number of distributions that use graphical
installations and *none* of them worked on my computer. My computer is
fairly normal too: celeron 333, Riva TNT card, ata/33 on the motherboard and
ata/66 on a promise card, ps/2 mouse. I think that the effort needed to make
a fairly good graphical installation (one that works on most computers) is
just too much work. I suggest that alfs use ncurses especially if it is
meant to be a reference distribution of linux. To me reference distribution
implies that it should follow all standards and work on most (if not all)
computers (atleast x86 for now). I guess a choice of graphical or ncurses
based installation would be nice, but again I think that the graphical
installation would be a *lot* of work.

Avery Fay

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com