directory structure/files

Richard Richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 09:51:18 PDT 2000

> the difference between the two is the flags I supplied to ls
> either ls -R or ls -lsaR. I did this from the root directory.
> I deleted /usr/src and /dev directories from the listing to
> reduce the size. I haven't looked through all of it yet.
>
> I think this will be helpful for anyone developing.

Yes it is - wonderful idea

> How should this file/directory listing be done? In other
> words how should it appear?

I am not saying this is right, it is only how I did it:-

After each stage of the installation, my scrpt runs this to
get an update list for each package:

# badpath - paths not to include in the listing
# $LFS/tmp/lfs.stage file created just before the tar -xzf package command
# $stage - pack we are working on eg:
#        s_bash   static installion of bash
#        i_tar     final installation of tar
  local badpath="{dev,mnt,tmp,var/{log,tmp},usr/{doc,etc,info,man,src,var}}"
# now to get nested brace expansion to work:
# put {a command to print the file command} in a file
  echo echo find . \"! -patch ./\"$badpath -newer $LFS/tmp/lfs.stage \
    -fprintf $LFS/var/log/install/$stage /%P\\\\n \
    \"-o -path ./\"${badpath}\" -prune\" > $LFS/tmp/lfs.recover
# execute the output of running the echo command in the file
  $(. $LFS/tmp/lfs.recover)
  > $LFS/tmp/lfs.recover
# This would be much simpler if find understood brackets around
# its options like it said in the manual.

This sort of thing would make it easier to see which package did not
install properly. If the size of $LFS/var/log/i_perl is zero something
could be wrong ;-)

Having valid lists to compare against would show up less obvious
errors.

My install script is apprimatelt LFS-2.3.2 and a half fiddled with
to suite myself. I am working on it so it can be configured to
give a more (or less standard) installation.

Richard
It's not the winning that counts, it is the taking apart

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com