I have one here

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 13 14:47:40 PDT 2000

> I have met the red hat install tool. It also runs in text mode using the
> cursor keys and enter as a virtual mouse. I much prefered it - their
> choice of resolution, colour and frame rate in X looked ugly on my
> monitor. Can we aim for a choice of X or text modes?

I don't know why not.

> I think that there is a considerable difference between an LFS compiler
> (what I did) and an LFS installer.
>
> The installer could go something like
>     Partitioning (fstab)
>     Select boot modes (lilo.conf)
>     Setup network (IP address, netmask, ...)
>     Select services (rc?.d, bind)
>     Select software
>     repeat tar -xzf software
>
> Not a hint of compiling there. Lots of GUI and a small amount of backend
> to do the job. The LFS compiler has no GUI. All it is good for is finding
> the best compile options, or redoing the compilation if you find
> package foo works better if you install bar fisrt and ./configure --with-bar

The first tool that will be created would be something in the lines of
what you called LFS compiler. But an 'installer' is something I'd like
to have as an end goal at some point.

> BTW: Last time I read LSB, packages should be installed with RPM's

Yeah I was afraid of something like that. I'm sure they (LSB, database
companies, etc) do want some packaging tool available. We'll see how
that works out.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org