I have one here

Richard Richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 11:36:32 PDT 2000

> > The script is available to any that ask for it. I would post it here
> > but it is 100K (includes /dev)
>
> Can you put it for download somewhere instead? I'll have Paul add this
> to www.pcrdallas.com/scripts

Short answer - no - I have not yet worked out uploading via ftp or
setting up my own web page.

> From what I've read the script you use does the job fine, but it lacks
> some abilities. In a few days I'll post to this list what kind of
> installation tool I want to develop with the rest of you guys. It can be
> in the form of simple shell scripts or a C program. In the end a GUI
> would be prefered (I've seen how VA Linux's version of RedHat is
> installed and I love it. It's an installation tool with X as the GUI and
> it uses Gnome or GTK). Perhaps I'll make some screenshots of their
> installation.

I have met the red hat install tool. It also runs in text mode using the
cursor keys and enter as a virtual mouse. I much prefered it - their
choice of resolution, colour and frame rate in X looked ugly on my
monitor. Can we aim for a choice of X or text modes?

I think that there is a considerable difference between an LFS compiler
(what I did) and an LFS installer.

The installer could go something like
    Partitioning (fstab)
    Select boot modes (lilo.conf)
    Setup network (IP address, netmask, ...)
    Select services (rc?.d, bind)
    Select software
    repeat tar -xzf software

Not a hint of compiling there. Lots of GUI and a small amount of backend
to do the job. The LFS compiler has no GUI. All it is good for is finding
the best compile options, or redoing the compilation if you find
package foo works better if you install bar fisrt and ./configure --with-bar

BTW: Last time I read LSB, packages should be installed with RPM's

Richard

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com