Bootdisk and Bootable CDs.

Joe Weidenbach joew at mnic.net
Mon Jul 31 01:19:08 PDT 2000

> We have been talking about this quite a bit on IRC...

Need to get hooked up to that one of these days =)

> The only downside to this is that you can't do a "true" LFS install, in that
> half of the work is allready done, though it could problably do ALFS quite
> well, we would like to offer something for LFSer that don't feel like
> installing a distro yet would like todo LFS the old fashion way ;^)

That's what I'm working on at the moment--Since it would make it a lot more
convenient for me to not have to mess with creating space for partitions

> What would happen if we included a fully working "live" CD to satisfy doing
> a pure LFS install?

I've just about got one done.  I'm guessing we don't need LILO on that, but we
would need some kind of lilo config editor to make the whole thing work.
Either that or some instructions for creating the lilo.conf file for the
non-lilo heads.

I would think a Live CD would do what we are looking for.  I think most of what
we need to do would be loaded into RAM when it's running anyway, so speed
shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I'll know within the next few days,
hopefully.  Perhaps it won't be the best for ALFS, but I'm hoping it will be
good for at least the pure LFS'ers.