Fwd: Re: Chapter 13 again ...

Peter Wood peter.wood at worldonline.dk
Wed Jul 19 07:26:15 PDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:05:23AM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from agx <agx at linux.it> -----
>
> From: agx <agx at linux.it>
> To: lsb-discuss at lists.linuxbase.org

<snip>

> Personally, as time pass, i'm getting bored of Linux distribution
> and i'm becoming more FreeBSD oriented. Understand me, not a kernel
> level but a standard level.
>
> For example i can just go into /usr/ports/web/webalize-2
> and type make to install it from the internet
> I'm really worried to do the same on a Linux distribution,
> like Red Hat, for example. Each user i know do always the
> same question: "when i install a package where the files
> are installed ?". But just take this as a general example.

Hi

Gerard, as you are a member of this lsb-discuss list, could you forward
to this guy the solution to his "users" problem "when i install a
package where the files are installed ?", on RedHat...

  rpm -qpl <path/to/PackageName>

If the path is a ftp or http url, then the rpm header files are
downloaded and queried.  Another good one to remember is...

  man rpm

Maybe this could help him be less bored with Gnu/Linux.  Viva GPL!

Best wishes
Pete