ALFS/LSB...LSB, your thoughs

Mark Stone mstone at valinux.com
Fri Jul 7 22:46:10 PDT 2000

I don't think that a package management system has to be implemented right
away. The main thing is to anticipate future needs. So what _is_ needed
now is some sort of record (or database, using the term "database"
loosely) of what's been installed, and what the dependencies are. That
would make it possible to implement a package management scheme later on.

The ideal would be to make choice of package managers up to the user --
rpm, deb, bsd, roll your own -- and simply build the data that would
enable that choice. In other words, build in "forward compatibility".

That sounds like the direction things are going in, which is fine.

In defense of rpm: you can't imagine how many customers insist on Red Hat,
or rpm, just because those are the buzzwords they've heard. You can
carefully explain to them the virtues of, say, Debian, and the associated
virtues of recursive dependency checking, and they'll just nod, smile, and
say, "Red Hat, please." Well the customer is always right. So if you don't
plan for rpm compatibility, you're needlessly limiting your audience. You
don't have to insist on rpm, but I think you do have to make room for it.

Mark